About PDQ Manufacturing, Inc.
To be the foundation for successful vehicle wash operators by delivering innovative and dependable cleaning systems with superior support, worldwide.
- The clear customer choice worldwide.
- Be a responsible and trusted member of the community.
- Foster rewarding and fulfilling work environments.
- Lead in efficient use of the world's resources.
- Collaborative Entrepreneurial Spirit
- Winning Through Customers
- High Ethical Standards, Openness and Trust
- Expectations for Results
- Respects and Values People
PDQ has been an operator-driven company since its inception. William "Red" Lewis, founder of PDQ, began in the vehicle wash industry as an operator in 1967. Never satisfied with the wash equipment of the times, he constantly experimented and built his own versions of wash components.
In 1984, Red teamed with touch-free pioneer Forrest Burton and produced the legendary Burton Follower® Arch. It was the first robotic arch to closely follow the contours and shape of any vehicle. By 1985, they developed a complete line of touch-free car wash equipment under the name of Carefree™ Vehicle Wash Equipment.
Shortly thereafter, Red expanded his manufacturing business, introduced the LaserWash® product line, and changed its company name to PDQ, reflecting the company's highest standards in Performance, Dependability, and Quality.
In 1998, PDQ announced the sale of PDQ Manufacturing to Dover Corporation, who acquires highly specialized manufacturing companies who are leaders in their respective industries. PDQ also gained ISO 9001 certification that year, one of the highest recognitions for quality of standards in materials, equipment, support services, and product testing.
In the spring of 2000, PDQ rolled-out the greatest advancement in vehicle wash equipment to date, the LaserWash® G5. Nearly five years in research and development, PDQ applied for seven unique patents on the "G5" (fifth generation) recognizing its unparalleled resource efficiency, user-friendliness, and reliability.
PDQ's commitment to continuous product innovation and the development of value-added technologies lead to the introduction of the LaserWash® G5 S-Series and Access® Customer Management System in 2003.
In early 2005, PDQ introduced the LaserWash M5, the successor to the unmatched LaserWash 4000. The M5 incorporates newer technologies and more advanced features that make your in-bay automatic more efficient, more reliable and even easier to use.
In the spring of 2007, PDQ launched Tandem™, a hybrid car wash system that incorporates both touch free and friction cleaning technologies using a dual-bridge, dual-brush design. Tandem has the largest top brush in the industry and provides a superior clean over typical three and five brush machines, giving operators an edge over the competition.
On September 23, 2009, PDQ hosted an industry-first live webcast event of the unveiling of the LaserWash® 360. This new machine utilizes a Smart 360™ Technology package that allows it to adjust to dynamic conditions within the wash bay, increasing uptime and optimizing the wash process. The machine design was based on owner feedback and key goals of providing both enhanced revenue and lowering the total cost of ownership for the owner.
At the Car Wash Show in the spring of 2012, PDQ unveiled its latest in-bay automatic, the ProTouch® ICON. The ProTouch ICON is a new three-brush gantry-style system that offers superior aesthetics, a larger wash envelope, next generation brush control precision, amazing illumination packages and revenue generating features that are synonymous with all PDQ car wash equipment.
Today, PDQ continues its global leadership role as the world's largest manufacturer of touch free vehicle wash systems. PDQ brands include LaserWash® Touchfree In-Bay Automatic Vehicle Wash Systems, ProTouch® Friction In-Bay Automatic Vehicle Wash Systems, LaserH2O® Reverse Osmosis Systems, Access® Customer Management System and MaxAir™ Dryers.
Since 1984, PDQ Manufacturing, Inc. has defined innovation in the vehicle wash industry.
Careers @ PDQ
PDQ is proud to be a great place to work and we're committed to maintaining a positive and productive environment. Not only does PDQ provide competitive and comprehensive salary and benefit packages, but we also foster a PDQ Culture where employees can contribute, develop, thrive, and have fun!
PDQ strives to maintain an environment that is both enjoyable and productive. Because of this PDQ coordinates programs that recognize employee achievements and encourages employee participation in company sponsored activities. We demonstrate this commitment by sponsoring and providing:
- Fun Activities for Employees - PDQ coordinates and sponsors fun events on a regular basis for employees. Examples of some of these activities include friendly department competitions, company outings to sporting events and employee appreciation activities. Some activities that the employees join in are connected with charitable fundraisers.
- Service Recognition Program - This program acknowledges employees who reach significant service anniversaries. The employee receives a gift, is presented with a framed certificate at our All-Employee meetings, and is recognized in our bimonthly newsletter.
- Company Summer Picnic - PDQ consistently enjoys a great turnout for our summer picnic, with many employees and family members joining in the fun. This event has been the highlight of PDQ's summer activities.
- Company Holiday Party - PDQ has the holiday spirit! We provide a great evening of fun, food, and celebration.
- Production Milestones - We celebrate achievements of significant milestones in the course of our business with catered luncheons for our employees.
- Pot Luck Lunches - Our employees really enjoy food, and we're always looking for good excuses to pull a potluck lunch together! Our employees love bringing in their favorite recipes and sharing a lunch together during the workday. Often collections are taken for various charities the company sponsors.
- "Ice Cream Sundae" Day - Just for the heck of it! Everybody loves an ice cream break!
- Community Support - We promote and coordinate involvement in fundraising activities for charitable organizations in the community.
- Safety Excellence - PDQ is fortunate to have an excellent safety record year after year due to our employees that are dedicated to thinking and working safely.
- Health & Wellness - PDQ has been proactive in educating the employees on their health. We have an RN and NP on-site weekly, to assist employees and spouses in managing their health. Additionally, each year PDQ pays for a Health Risk Assessment for each employee. PDQ also has a tobacco-free campus, pays for employee's annual flu shots, sponsors participation in local runs/walks, and has fun health competitions, all to encourage employees to live their healthiest life.
- Charitable Donations Program - PDQ is committed to supporting its community and encouraging employees' charitable giving. On behalf of its employees, PDQ donates to various local charities and organizations throughout the year. In addition to this, PDQ encourages its employees to submit a "Charitable Donations Request Form" if they would like PDQ to make a donation to a charity or organization in their name. PDQ will support initiatives that provide benefits to the local communities and to organizations that meet important community needs.
- Take Your Child To Work Day - PDQ participates in this national event annually, where children of PDQ employees have a fun day learning more about our business, and meeting with employees that work in fields that are of interest to them.
Our Commitment to Employees
PDQ globally markets the highest quality vehicle wash systems, and we view our employees as our most valuable asset. Our Commitment to Employees provides an environment that is enjoyable, safe, and friendly. Experience the PDQ commitment and become an important part of our world-class, hometown team! PDQ demonstrates its commitment to our employees by:
- Providing an exceptional work environment that is clean and boasts an excellent safety record.
- Providing a competitive wage/salary.
- Providing extensive new hire orientation and training, including written work instructions and procedures for performing job tasks.
- Providing a formal method of performance feedback through annual performance review meetings.
- Providing paid time off, with the option to purchase additional vacation.
- Providing 8½ paid holidays annually.
- Providing paid funeral leave.
- Providing jury duty pay for employees summoned for jury duty.
- Providing condensed hours during May, June, July, and August and September. This allows the employee to work 40 hours in 4.5 days.
- Providing a comprehensive benefit package at affordable prices. Our benefits package includes: Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Supplemental Life, Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Section 125 Flex Plan, Health Savings Accounts, 401(k) with company match and potential annual profit sharing amount split equally amongst all participants.
- Providing opportunities for advancement through established internal job posting procedures.
- Promoting continual learning through Employee Education Assistance program and training opportunities.
- Providing confidential Employee Assistance Program (EAP) services at no cost to employees to deal with personal issues such as relationship counseling, depression, self-improvement, financial counseling, and any other issues that can affect employees.
- Providing a business casual work environment for office personnel, plus casual days two times per week.
- Both PDQ and Dover Corporation provide the opportunity for children of PDQ employees that are graduating high school seniors or currently enrolled in college to receive Student Scholarships to help fund their higher education.
- We have a partnership with PCM Credit Union to offer banking benefits and home and auto discounts through Liberty Mutual.
- Free Carwashes!!
- COMMUNICATING, Communicating, and communicating:
- We hold company-wide All-Employee Meetings on a monthly basis, where the President provides a "state of the business" update, communicates upcoming company activities, and any other business-related information. We offer a "Q&A" opportunity at the end of each meeting to field employee questions or concerns in an open forum.
- "Lunch with the President" is designed for employees to have an opportunity to express any thoughts or concerns with the President of PDQ in a small group atmosphere while enjoying lunch on PDQ.
- We work on an open door policy - a supervisors door is always open to an employee. We find that this is usually the most effective way to deal with a problem and it ensures employee's questions or concerns are addressed in a timely manner.
- We write and distribute a bimonthly newsletter to employees to ensure timely communication of information between two facilities and our outside sales force. We use this to celebrate promotions, recognize birthdays and anniversaries, acknowledge significant accomplishments, as well as entertain and educate employees on a wide variety of topics.
PDQ In The News
De Pere, WI (April 1, 2013) – PDQ Manufacturing, Inc., an industry-leading manufacturer of in-bay automatic vehicle wash systems, is pleased to announce that its LaserWash® 360 In-Bay Automatic Vehicle Wash System is now available with the LaserGlow Illumination Effect System. Developed as a highly effective marketing tool to draw more attention to a wash site, the LaserGlow system is available on new equipment or can be retrofitted to any existing LaserWash® 360 system.
PDQ's new LaserGlow system has been specifically designed to improve customer flow by illuminating wash bays, day or night, while helping guide customers through the vehicle entry process. It can be programmed to display multiple color combinations of flashing patterns, or constant colored illumination to match a brand image. Additional features and benefits of the new LaserGlow system include:
- Assists in the customer-loading process
- Strategically located bright multi-colored LED lights
- Reinforces brand image and colors
- Customizable software to personalize the LaserGlow system
- Translucent front bridge cover and decal
- Easy to install
For more information, please visit the LaserWash 360 vehicle wash system page.
De Pere, WI (November 16, 2012) – PDQ Manufacturing, Inc., an industry-leading manufacturer of in-bay automatic vehicle wash systems and the host of the car wash industry's first-ever live Internet product launch, has found another innovative way to bring the company's message to the masses with the launch of its ProTouch® ICON Road Show Trailer. The trailer will travel the country and make appearances at PDQ distributor facilities, selected trade shows, and most importantly at customer locations, offering on-site demonstrations of the new ProTouch® ICON Friction Car Wash System to existing and potential PDQ customers.
"We're always looking for different ways to introduce our products to the market, and since we have a new exciting option for a friction wash, we knew we needed something different to take out to customer sites and also to get our channel partners online," explained Ken Dollhopf, PDQ's Vice President of Marketing and New Business Development. "In a lot of ways we can do more with the Road Show Trailer than we can at a trade show. It gets our sales force involved and gives us a true one-on-one connection with the customer."
The focal point of the Road Show Trailer is an actual, full-size ProTouch ICON three-brush gantry. Fully operational, the gantry runs through a complete wash cycle (minus the water), complete with a voiceover that explains the wash process, and accompanied by flashing lights and futuristic music. The front portion of the trailer is a mock-up of a typical car wash equipment room so the visitor can observe the system's various components. The rear of the trailer is designed as an office, complete with Internet access that allows visitors to view, in real-time, the wash's performance characteristics and operational status. The office computer also allows PDQ personnel or a distributor to provide additional information about the ProTouch ICON or any other PDQ wash, dryer and entry system to the visitor, offering a full service mobile sales tool sure to impress everyone.
The innovative three-brush gantry system on the ProTouch® ICON offers superior aesthetics and an array of revenue-generating features, such as Gen 5 Intelligent Brush Control, ProGlow Illumination Effect System, ProFlow Pressurized Fluid System, Wheel Cleaning System and SwingAir® Oscillating Dryer System. Additionally, the ProTouch ICON features the industry's largest wash envelope, which makes vehicle positioning easy. For wash operators, it offers an advanced wash-control system that uses a Web browser interface to allow Internet access to all key equipment functions without the need for special software.
The Road Show Trailer's inaugural trip occurred in late October with a swing through North Dakota and Minnesota, including a stop at the North Dakota Petroleum Marketers Association's Convention and Trade Show. It is scheduled to work its way through Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia through the end of the year, and then hit key target markets in Florida in January and February 2013.
De Pere, WI (August 7, 2012) – PDQ Manufacturing, Inc., an industry-leading manufacturer of in-bay automatic vehicle wash systems, is pleased to announce the availability of its new LaserWash® AutoXpress® touch-free in-bay automatic vehicle wash system. The new LaserWash AutoXpress is an affordable wash system that has been designed specifically for automotive dealers. The LaserWash AutoXpress features advanced touch-free wash technology that delivers a quick, superior clean with the ability to wash up to 23 vehicles an hour, even the largest SUVs and trucks, including duallys.
The LaserWash AutoXpress offers a number of trend-setting features that set it apart from competitive wash systems, including PDQ's innovative Virtual Treadle which eliminates drive-on floor-mounted mechanisms, resulting in a wide-open bay that is easy for anyone to use. The AutoXpress also provides up to 1,200-psi water pressure, which enables the system to remove stubborn dirt and debris in even the most hard-to-reach areas of the vehicle without the need for brushes or cloth curtains. The AutoXpress also incorporates an advanced arch-control system that is able to rotate 360 degrees while simultaneously moving around the vehicle, which provides fast and effective cleaning for all vehicle configurations. The touch-free wash process also eliminates brush contact with vehicles, which results in minimized vehicle damage.
"We are well aware of how important a reliable vehicle wash system is to the auto-dealer market, which is why we designed the LaserWash AutoXpress with a wide range of features that enable optimized wash performance and costs in this crucial market," said Gerry Hanrahan, PDQ's Senior Vice President of Sales. "We firmly believe that the LaserWash AutoXpress will be a pivotal piece of equipment for auto dealers who are looking to streamline their vehicle-washing operations."
De Pere, WI (July 17, 2012) – PDQ Manufacturing, Inc., an industry-leading manufacturer of in-bay automatic vehicle wash systems, is pleased to announce the appointment of Mid-Florida Car Wash Equipment & Supply (MFCWES) as a new PDQ distributor serving the Central and Northeast Florida market. MFCWES and PDQ are very excited about their new partnership. Headquartered in Apopka, FL, MFCWES does business in 40 counties from as far south as Glades County (between Ft. Myers and West Palm Beach) to as far north as Jefferson County, which borders Georgia. MFCWES will distribute, install and service PDQ’s full line of vehicle-wash systems and peripheral equipment, including the LaserWash® and ProTouch® in-bay automatic wash systems, MaxAir® and SwingAir™ drying systems, and Access® payment terminals.
Harold Chenoweth, President and CEO of MFCWES, said of the appointment: "Everyone at Mid-Florida is very excited to have the opportunity to represent PDQ, the premier line of in-bay automatics. Mid-Florida is known for providing superior service and support and we look forward to expanding that to include PDQ equipment."
Mid-Florida Car Wash Equipment & Supply has one of the most experienced sales and service organizations serving the car wash industry in Central and Northeast Florida. Using its existing large base of wash customers, MFCWES is looking at expanding its sales and services to include existing PDQ car wash operators throughout the region. As a full-service provider, MFCWES offers a wide range of services, including business consulting, design and development, custom marketing programs, its own line of custom-fit chemicals and a broad range of other car wash programs. MFCWES can be reached at (407) 770-1000 or by visiting www.mfcw.com.
Commenting on the appointment, PDQ’s Senior Vice President of Sales, Gerry Hanrahan said, "We are very pleased to form a new business relationship with MFCWES to take over coverage of this key territory. Mid-Florida Car Wash Equipment & Supply is a premiere organization and we are delighted to have the opportunity to add such a highly respected and well-established car wash distributor to our PDQ network. We are looking forward to working with them to expand our businesses in the Florida market."
De Pere, WI (July 16, 2012) – In 2010, PDQ Manufacturing, Inc., the industry-leading manufacturer of in-bay automatic vehicle wash systems, created a new charitable donations policy for its employees. This policy allocates money to each employee with those funds able to be donated to charities on their behalf. As part of the policy, PDQ makes periodic donations to local charitable organizations. In June, PDQ announced that it was making a donation to the Brown County (WI) Sheriff’s Benevolent Association.
The Brown County Sheriff’s Benevolent Association (BCSBA) is a fraternal organization consisting of 148 officers who serve the Brown County Sheriff’s Department. The association was founded as a way to provide financial assistance to its members and the organizations they belong to within Brown County. Over the years, the BCSBA has donated more than $200,000 to local charities. The focus of this year’s BCSBA fund-raising effort is preventing drug and alcohol use and abuse among teens, as well as stopping youth violence. The funds raised by the BCSBA this year will be distributed to many local organizations that assist with these types of programs.
"When we were researching local charities to support, and were made aware of the good works performed by the Brown County Sheriff’s Benevolent Association, we thought it would be the perfect recipient for one of our charitable donations," said Becky Davies, PDQ’s Human Resources Manager. "Keeping children safe and away from the dangers that are associated with drug and alcohol abuse is a worthwhile goal, and the great work being done by the BCSBA is definitely worthy of our support."
De Pere, WI (July 09, 2012) – In 2010, PDQ Manufacturing, Inc., the industry-leading manufacturer of in-bay automatic vehicle wash systems, created a new charitable donations policy for its employees. This policy allocates money to each employee with those funds able to be donated to charities on their behalf. As part of the policy, PDQ makes periodic donations to local charitable organizations. In June, PDQ made a $5,000 donation to the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Wisconsin. That amount was matched by the Dover Foundation. The Dover Foundation was founded in 2011 as a way to support not-for-profit organizations, causes and/or projects that benefit the Dover Corporation and its operating companies. PDQ Manufacturing is a member of Dover’s Engineered Systems™ market platform.
The combined $10,000 donated by PDQ and the Dover Foundation helped make the wishes of two ill Wisconsin teenagers come true:
- Brayden, a 16-year-old from Green Bay with severe epilepsy, experienced his wish of traveling to Hawaii with his family
- Isabella, a 14-year-old from De Pere suffering from lung disease as a result of Cystic Fibrosis, will go on a Disney Cruise with her family
To recognize the contributions that PDQ and the Dover Foundation have made to this worthwhile cause, Kris Teofilo, Regional Director for the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Wisconsin, attended PDQ’s All Employee Meeting on June 21 to thank the company and its employees for their generous contribution.
"Thank you for helping give local children with life-threatening medical conditions hope, strength and joy," Teofilo wrote in a letter to PDQ President Mike Savignac and Human Resources Manager Becky Davies on June 14. "Make-A-Wish Wisconsin has been working with caring individuals like you all over the state since 1984 to help children and their families during one of the most challenging times of life. We want to thank you for your heart-felt commitment to the Make-A-Wish mission."
Dover Corporation is a diversified global manufacturer with annual revenues of over $8 billion. For over 50 years, Dover has been delivering outstanding products and services that reflect its market leadership and commitment to operational and technical excellence. The Company's entrepreneurial business model encourages, promotes and fosters deep customer engagement which has led to Dover's well-established and valued reputation for providing superior customer service and industry-leading product innovation. Dover focuses on innovative equipment and components, specialty systems and support services through its four major operating segments: Communication Technologies, Energy, Engineered Systems and Printing & Identification.
Headquartered in Downers Grove, Illinois, Dover employs 35,000 people worldwide. Dover Corporation is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under "DOV". For more information on Dover Corporation, visit their website at www.dovercorporation.com.